The vehicle lighting sector is currently undergoing major change with the development of new technologies like LED lights, as well as new and complex lighting systems functionalities. This changing landscape provides an opportunity to explore new avenues for innovation based on lasers, smart lighting solutions and new lighting functionalities. Therefore, three major Engineering Schools in Transportation Engineering (ESTACA), Optics & Photonics (Institut d’Optique Graduate School) and Design (STRATE – Ecole de design) join their experience in engineer training to develop a high-level international Advanced programme designed for training cross-skilled engineers for the field of vehicle embedded lighting systems. The training structures are strongly connected to research and actively supported by industrial players.
Advanced Master Programme in Embedded Lighting Systems
An advanced Master Degree accredited by the Conférence des Grandes Ecoles
“Mastère Spécialisé de la Conférence des Grandes Ecoles”
Download the ELS Advanced Master Flyer
A high-level international training curriculum in the field of vehicle lighting systems
In an integrated vision from design to production of embedded Lighting systems including headlights and rear lamps for the automotive industry, the programme associates creative design, optical and mechanical system design, simulation and virtual prototyping, embedded power and intelligence, as well as preparation of embedded systems in the connected or autonomous vehicles of tomorrow.
- Teaching faculty offers a high-level international training curriculum
- A programme run by leading experts in the field of vehicle embedded lighting systems and perfectly suited to meet industry needs.
- A programme heavily involved in the industrial sector, currently hiring wordlwide many new graduates
400 hours of academic coursework (in 2017, from september 11th to December 21st)
- 6 sessions run by IOGS cover Optics & Photonics for Lighting
Basic training in optics and photonics ; sciences, technology and applications of light sources including lamps, discharge tubes, LEDs, OLEDs and lasers ; photometry of sources and optical systems, colorimetry ;
Optical systems design and shaping of illumination using complex surfaces, light guides and diffractive optics ; computer assisted optical design ;
2D & 3D photometric simulations, realistic and physico-realistic rendering of illumination and aspect, measurement and simulation of surface aspects, vision and cognition.
- 2 sessions run by ESTACA cover Embedded Systems
Embedded electronic driving and régulation of sources ; hardware dimensioning ; servo controls, actuators, sensors including visible and infrared cameras ; Embedded energy management ;
electrical & electronical vehicle architecture ; Embedded intelligence for illumination and driving assistance ; system design and CAD.
- 3 sessions run by ESTACA cover Related technologies
Mechanics and materials : design and CAD, process including injection, Tools, assembly & platic welding, surface processing ; environment simulation : humidity, thermal, impacts & vibrations ;
Integrated design of embedded lighting systems, prototyping and industrialisation ; regulatory requirements : régulations and standards ; Patents and industrial property.
- 1 session run by STRATE covers Creative Design of Lighting Systems
Industrial design, awareness, vocabulary, creativity
- Produced between January and June, with a minimum of 5 months, it is followed by a professional thesis defense.
- Teaching modules assessed via exams and case studies
- Academic project & Professional thesis assessed via dissertation and oral presentations
- Lectures, case studies, team work project and management,
Number of credits: 75 ECTS
Job prospects :
In a highly competitive international context, the program will meet the need for advanced skills of all players in the value chain: car or aerospace manufacturers, lighting systems and components suppliers, and engineering service providers.
The faculty will be based in near Paris, in the heart of a high-growth Paris-Saclay Unibversity, offering dense and diversified scientific and technological potential. Classes, tutorials and labs will be hosted at ESTACA (Saint Quentin en Yvelines) at Institut d’Optique Graduate School (Palaiseau) and at Strate – School of Design (Sèvres).
This program is open to all foreign and French students holding at Master of Science level .
Applicants must prove one of the following degrees :
- an engineering degree recognized by the Commission des Titres d’Ingénieurs (Commission for Engineering Degrees),
- a master degree or equivalent, (preferably in relevant scientific fields)
- a foreign degree equivalent to one of those.
Applicants should have English language proficiency at the B2 level (minimum paper based TOEFL: 575 or TOEIC: 785
A limited number of applications, not fulfilling the degree criteria but with outstanding credentials.
13 000 Euros : full fee
11 000 Euros : reduced fee for recently graduated students
- waivers for half or 100% of the tuition fees are available for a limited number of self sustained students
- Admission upon application file , followed by an interview.
- Application period: From February 15th to June15th
- Application Form available on the website at “Admissions ”